And the list probably could go on and on.
But one thing I have learned is I really don’t know how to do all that well.
At least most of the time.
And so within the last month God has been talking to me about becoming more diligent. And a couple of weeks ago I prayed, thought, and asked God, “Where do I need to grow? What do I need to do?” And instead of following the list that Elizabeth George has in her book A Woman After God’s Own Heart, I seemed to switch it around where now I have combined Priority #1- God and Spiritual Growth together because I NEED TO GROW.
And I think people think spiritual growth is just about reading your Bible and praying, and yet God wants us to grow in so many areas (that of course include reading the Bible, meditating on His word and praying) but interact with all the other priorities in our lives. I always think of Edith Schaeffer’s book The Hidden Art of Homemaking and my 12 Month Creativity Challenge that I tried to do so long ago. My greatest desire, for me, though, and for you, is to grow.
And so I began the “Five Fat Folder” idea. Elizabeth George mentions in her book where she says you should have five folders. One for each area you want to grow in. And as you go throughout your days and learn, start filling those folders.
What are my folders at the moment? They aren’t actual folders, just areas of growth I want to grow in.
- Always and forever I want to grow in my relationship with God, where I am studying his word, meditating on it, and praying and understanding His will for my life. Prayer in itself is something I want to grow in (and almost could have it’s own folder). I want to read, understand, communicate in a way with God that I not only talk, but hear what he has to say, and make my life more of his will and not my own. He does do that now, but I want to be more open to His Spirit and His presence.
- I want to grow in my relationship with my husband. I want to know what it means to be a wife, fully and completely, and realize how this relationship of husband/wife and being one is suppose to work. Not by the world’s standards. Not by my friends’ standards. But what God has shown me personally, through His word, prayer, and Spirit, that will work for my husband and myself. And that is hard because there are so many different types of people and relationships out there, with wonderful wisdom and advice, but my husband and I are not like everyone else, and so, I need to learn us and work through the ins and outs of what it means to be one with my husband. 🙂 Does that make any sense? Also, I would like to know how to pray for him more effectively where it encourages our relationship more (which goes back to the other category of prayer. Funny how that works).
- I want to grow in my relationship with my kids. What is my role, as a mom? How do my husband and I work together to help our kids? What are there needs and what needs do I need to meet? How do I show them God? What example do I need to be? How can I encourage the gifts God has put in each one of them, encourage character growth, and inspire them to be all God has made them to be? How can I pray for them? My kids are all so unique but it is quite a battle to really show them love that meets their heart, to discipline and train, and just to do it all in a godly way. (I know I am not the only one out there who is working on all this?) And, really, only God can open their hearts and move them in good directions. I can only pray I can be the example.
- I want to grow as a teacher and homeschool mom. I really am learning my personality and my kids personality and I just need to get it together! There are so many more things I can learn and be if I am willing to glean from others, and yet make it my own. I want to be more confident in knowing that I have learned more than where I started and I can make the curriculum work for me. 🙂 I also help with teaching at our co-op and I could see myself growing in so many areas. I am not the most organized but I feel I am more organized than I used to be. There is always areas to grow in.
- I think growing in diligence, organization, and business would be amazing and in a way is my last fat folder. I think these things are so intertwined that I don’t want to separate them just yet. But to be diligent helps me with household things, as well as this blog and writing, and keeping my homeschool life together. Also, with blogging, eventually I would like to make an income off this blog or find another way to supplement our income and help put money back into our homeschooling fund, which I need to do soon. 🙂
So, I am excited to see what God is doing and already, I made myself read some books to help me grow in some of these areas! I will share these books in the next couple of days, since I have finished two and still have another one to finish. I add this to my day in the morning and when things calm down, or my kids are preoccupied and I did some chores already. I am a reader, so this is very doable. My goal is try to get through each one of the books in a week. So I am excited to share some reviews and what I may have personally gleaned from each book.
Be inspired to figure out some areas you really need to grow in, make a list, and pick maybe one to try to improve on! Or if your list is like mine, hopefully I can, through my own journey, help you in yours as well!
Be inspired today!