So I was browsing around and found Syncopated Mama’s blog “5 After 5, Fall Activities Edition” and got inspired to share my own list of my family’s five favorite Fall activities!
Fall is one of my favorite seasons in the Catskill Mountains. Mostly because of all the beautiful colors that seem to “pop” out at you unexpected. Reds, oranges, golds, yellows! They are so amazing and so pretty! We hit peek season last week and as the weeks keep moving on, more leaves are piling in my back yard and my kids are excitedly raking them up before the trees become totally bare! So glad there is still some color on the ground, though! (I will try to take pictures this year before all the colors go away!
So some of our five favorite, fun activities we like to do in the fall are:
- Apple picking!– I don’t know about you, but here in NY there are apple orchards in so many different places! All you have to do is find the one that is your favorite, and keep picking from there year after year. One of our favorite places to go pick apples is Fix Bros. This year I actually organized a field trip with my co-op where each child paid $5 and got a hayride around the field, a bag where each child could pick a peck of apples, got to pick two gourds and got an apple cider. We had so much fun playing around in the hay mazes and tasting apples from the different trees! The people there were so nice and accommodating. I think we will do it again next year!
- Leaf Pile Making!– My kids are the masters of leaf piles. Eventually, not only are we jumping in the leaf piles, but are making trails through them, covering each other, tossing them at each other and make leaf forts because of the amounts of leaves everywhere! I think this year Monkey has made one of the best forts this year. I still have to go check it out fully, but it is so much fun!
- Nature Hikes! -So far we really haven’t done that this year and I am not sure why. I think maybe I will just do that tomorrow.
- Pie Making and Baking!– So far we have made apple crisp and two apple pies. I have also made pumpkin bread and everything just smells so delicious, with nutmeg and spice and everything nice! I let my daughter help me with the pies and it is just nice to pre-cut the apples and have them ready instead of taking all day to do a pie. (I rather do it in pieces!)
- Hay Mazes!– The apple orchard was the hay maze we went to this year but it is so nice to just go through a maze or even a grass path around that someone did. Maybe I will challenge my kids to make a leaf maze tomorrow!
What are some of your favorite activities to do in the fall?